Wednesday 11 February 2009

Signal box fire in Gainsborough

I was able to put my journalism skills to the test in a proper environment tonight, not just hypothetical situations in class. When driving home from uni I was overtaken by a fire engine and it turned out that the train station on my road had a signal box fire. Taking the opportunity, I parked up, grabbed my camera and notepad and headed onto the platform.

I learned some valuable lessons about practical journalism as a result.

One is that no matter how many people are involved in an incident like this, no one can talk to you. I was told about eight times that someone (a sergeant, a spokesman, an incident officer) would be along soon, but 90 minutes later I was still waiting.

Another is that (because of point one) you can learn more by ringing people from an office than actually being on the scene.

Thirdly, tidy shorthand is absolutely vital. This was hammered home during the twenty minutes it took me to decipher my hasty scrawl once I had managed to get someone to tell me what was happening.

Fingers crossed I got enough information to warrant the Gainsborough Standard publishing my copy on their website. If not, well, I shall chalk the hour and a half up as frostbitten experience.

I'll be a seasoned hack in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment